Wednesday 23 March 2011

A Line is a Line...



I popped down to Middlesbrough to catch the tail end of the Drawing in Progress exhibition at the Middlesbrough Institute of Modern Art. The exhibition displayed MIMA's recent acquisitions of American post-war drawings. G's and my favourite was Fred Sandback's Untitled from c.1987, in which we pondered whether the black and yellow described the edges of the gap between the vellum sheets; or were the lines themselves the gap, separating the vellum sheets.

I also enjoyed drawing the front of the MIMA building, and particularly Lawrence Weiner's A Line is a Line for All That. Struck me a sentence about line would look nice in continuous line writing. But I would say that, wouldn't I.

I made MIMA a gift of one of my wandering lines on one of their comment cards, above. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment